The Aspen collar is a cervical spinal stabilization device. It is manufactured from plastic and Velcro with replaceable foam liners. The two-piece design allows for simple application and removal. It is easily modified by the Orthotist to maximize comfort, allowing usage for up to 3 months or as recommended by the spinal surgeon.
The Aspen is used for post-trauma and post-surgical applications. Common injuries treated with an Aspen are:
- occipital condyle fractures
- bony and ligamentous injuries from C1 – C7
- diffuse soft tissue injuries from C1 – C7
It is also used to maintain a stable head and neck position to reduce pain for:
- patients with neurological disorders
- cancer patients for non-operative management
- patients with musculoskeletal pathologies that cannot maintain their own neutral head orientation
It is often used for short periods of time to allow a patient to accommodate for muscle weakness post-Halo-usage.